July 4th is a celebrated day here in America because it symbolizes our freedom and the independence of our nation. We know that Independence Day this year will look a lot different than in previous years. Festivals will be canceled and fireworks shows may not run. However, there are still ways in which you can enjoy the holiday while keeping safe during the pandemic.
Even though you won't be able to have your usual parties or attend your usual festivities, you can still enjoy the day with loved ones, fire up the grill, and enjoy some small fireworks at home. If you're planning on going to a family member or friend's home, you'll be on the road with many other drivers. Safety should be a priority, so here are some tips on how to enjoy the day safely and without incident:
- Since we are still in the midst of a pandemic, be sure to follow recommendations by the CDC which including wearing a mask in public, washing your hands regularly, sanitizing, and practicing social distance. Also, don't gather in large groups.
- Never put yourself and others at risk on the road by drinking and driving. If you're planning on drinking alcohol, have a designated driver planned or use a ride-share app to get home. Or better yet, just celebrate at home!
- Many people don't know this, but July 4th is actually the most dangerous day to drive out of the entire year. This is due to the large increase in alcohol consumption. If you are driving, be aware of your surroundings and drive safely.
- Traveling out of town for the weekend? Make sure your vehicle is in good condition for the drive. Here at DRIVE AutoCare, we can provide a vehicle inspection before your long trip to verify that your vehicle can handle the drive. If not, we help you take care of your vehicle's needs before you hit the road.
- If you're lighting fireworks (legal, please!), be safe and only light them in areas that are away from other people, other homes, and flammable objects.
- Since the 4th is typically a hot day, don't forget to protect yourself from the sun. Use lots of sunscreen and dress appropriately for the weather. Also, don't forget to hydrate throughout the day!
- If you're planning on grilling, remember grilling and fire safety. Don't let small children around hot grills and take caution when lighting any fires.
We hope that these safety tips will allow you to have an amazing July 4th holiday. We wish you the best, and happy Independence Day!