Summer Road Trip Checklist
Summer Road Trip Checklist: AAA reports that 4 of 10 drivers are unprepared for vehicle breakdowns which can take the joy out of your trip. The Car Care Council recommends taking the following steps before you leave home:
- Check the battery: Be sure the electrical system is charging at the correct rate; overcharging can damage a battery as quickly as undercharging. Excessive heat and overcharging shortens the life of a battery. Replacing an old battery is an inexpensive insurance policy.
- Check the tires: Be sure to check the tire pressure and tread including the spare. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check the air conditioning: Proper cooling performance is critical for interior comfort.
- Check all fluids: Check the engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check the wipers and lighting: Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving during precipitation.
- Check the emergency kit: Purchase one if you don't have one or restock, if necessary.
DRIVE AutoCare also recommends inspecting the brake system and performing a tune-up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy.
ENJOY THE RIDE!